How to Make a Complaint - College of Dental Surgeons of Alberta Skip to main content

Making a complaint to the ADA&C
If you make a complaint to the ADA&C about the conduct of a dentist or quality of care, your complaint must:

  • be in writing
  • be signed by you
  • provide the name of the dentist you are complaining about
  • include enough detail about the nature of your complaint so the dentist is able to respond to the complaint, such as what happened, when it happened and where it happened
  • list your contact information including your mailing address and phone number
  • be sent by fax or mail to the ADA&C

You may send your signed letter of complaint via email if you are able to scan and attach it as a .pdf document.

What the ADA&C Doesn’t Do

The ADA&C doesn’t act on complaints about your third party provider (insurer), employment, office staff, or a former member if two years have passed since the person became a former member.

The ADA&C does not:

  • provide legal services to patients or dentists
  • act as a patient advocate or an advocate for complainants or dentists
  • represent third party providers or insurers
  • provide referrals or recommend dentists
  • fund or refund dental treatment
  • provide copies of dental records we have on our files because you must request this information directly from the dental office
  • respond to complaints about denturists, dental hygienists, or dental assistants, as these professionals are regulated by their own colleges and complaints must be sent to these colleges, not the ADA&C