Registration FAQs and Links - College of Dental Surgeons of Alberta Skip to main content

Registration FAQ

Professional Corporation FAQ

  • How do I set up a new Professional Corporation?

    See the Professional Corporation information package that is designed to assist Alberta dentists in the procedures to register a new Professional Corporation.

    The package provides information on: initial registration, amendments, amalgamations, revivals, continuance and change in shareholdings of a Professional Corporation in Alberta.

    The ADA&C strongly encourages members to seek the advice of a lawyer and/or accountant before proceeding with establishing or making changes to a Professional Corporation.

  • Can I have my spouse or children apart of my Professional Corporation?

    Since March 2010 legislation has allowed for a spouse and dependents to be able to have non-voting shares within a Professional Corporation. See the Professional Corporation information package for more information.

  • What name is acceptable for a Professional Corporation?

    The name must be in the correct format. The first name (in full or initial) and full last name of the dentist must be the first part of the Professional Corporation name. The dentist’s middle name(s) (in full or initial) may be used but are optional. The last part of the Professional Corporation name must be either Professional Corporation or Professional Dental Corporation. For example John Samuel Doe could incorporate as John Doe Professional Corporation or as J. S. Doe Professional Dental Corporation, etc. However, Dr. John Doe Professional Corporation is not acceptable as it is not possible for a corporation to earn a degree.

    Note: If more than one dentist is included in the Professional Corporation the Professional Corporation name must include all regulated members names using the naming format above.

  • Can a member have more than one Professional Corporation?

    Yes, a member can hold more than one Professional Corporation.